spool count

Discussion in 'SmarterMail' started by rahulbojage, Jan 9, 2010.

1. rahulbojage

rahulbojage New Member

Hi,

What steps I can do if spool count of smartermail is very high and mails start flowing.

Thanks.
  2. ramiss

ramiss Senior Member

Did you mean to say "mail stops flowing"?

If your spool count is high and mail is still moving then your setup is not powerful enough to handle all of the mail processing. You can either reduce the processing on each message by using Greylisting/SMTP blocking and/or remove some spam and antivirus checks. OR...upgrade to a more powerful server. Note that there are many variables, maybe your server is powerful but your storage is slow..etc

If the mail is not moving then something has clogged or stopped and you need to find the issue.
  3. rahulbojage

rahulbojage New Member

Yes mail flow stop working and some time that causes mail server crash. So we are looking for solution on it. In feuture we do not want to have mails stuck in spool. Or it would be nice if I can get any notice if mail count in spool folder scrosses certain limit. So we can take few prcuasion. Also is there any other way to stop this stucking of mails in spool folder.

Thanks in Advanced
  4. ramiss

ramiss Senior Member

Mail stuck in the spool is not normal. You should submit a ticket to ST so they can have a look at your server.
  5. consc198

consc198 Product Expert

You can setup an event for this by logging in as System Admin then going to Settings > Events, click on New Event then for event category choose System and for event type choose Spool Count and then just configure the event to send you an email after a certain number of emails in the spool has been reached.
  6. brianlewis

brianlewis Product Expert

That sound great but you won't receive the email or text because it will be sitting in the spool that is stuck!

We use IPMonitor to watch one of the spool folders for >60 files, that is approx 600 messages is when thats triggered. IPMonitor checks this folder every 5 minutes and has its own smtp system that is able to send an email to the engineers.
  7. infuseweb

infuseweb Member

Old thread, but this was happening to us too and like Brian said, we set up a monitor to detect when the spool exceeds a certain count it alerts us, and if we don't respond within a specified period, it automatically restarts the SM service. After restart the spool slowly gets back to normal. It's like it gets stuck once in a while for no apparent reason. I noticed the 6.7 version that was just released today has a fix for spool locking. Hopefully this is the resolution to the problem.

And yes, using SM's internal monitor to send you and e-mail doesn't work when the spool locks up like that. Kinda defeats the purpose but oh well.
  8. ramiss

ramiss Senior Member

FYI..from the new version 6.7.3701 (2010-02-18) release notes:

FIXED: Resolved a locking issue that could cause the spool to stop delivery under high loads.
  9. brianlewis

brianlewis Product Expert

This was brought on by us generating 5-6 application debugs for Smartertools when the lockup occured (was happening 2-3 times a day!!) and they were able to troubleshoot the problem and correct it in v6.7. 6.7 does indeed fix this problem.
  10. infuseweb

infuseweb Member

Glad to know I wasn't the only one. Was happening at least several times a week for us. Because it happened randomly, most of the time by the time I got to it I didn't have time to spare running debug logs. Had to get mail up ASAP. So I appreciate you finding a way to get it done.

Thanks Brian for getting them that debug info!