1. This forum is read-only and considered to be an Archive. Please utilize the SmarterTools Community for future interaction and posts.

SMTP Greeting and Domain Literals

Discussion in 'SmarterMail' started by JohnK, Jan 13, 2010.

1. JohnK

JohnK Member

Can anybody explain what the following means and how I should correct it?

SMTP Greeting

"No A records found matching banner text for following servers, and banner is not an address literal. RFC 5321 requires one or the other. If this is not set correctly, some mail platforms will reject or delay mail from you, and can cause hard to diagnose issues with deliverability. Mailserver details: mail.domain.com - 220 email.domain.com"

and...

Domain Literals

"Mailserver rejected mail to address literals. Mail servers should accept domain literals (i.e. IP addresses instead of domains). This ensures backwards compatibility and can help with delivery in certain non-optimal situations, like a DNS server being down/unresponsive. mail.domain.com - 550 No such user here"

I believe that the first problem is causing problems for delivery to some domains and the second problem is just annoying to get with every domain analysis I do.

Thanks,

JK
  2. JohnK

JohnK Member

Bump.

Anyone with any ideas?

JK
  3. ramiss

ramiss Senior Member

The first one means that your server's SMTP greeting does not contain a domain that has an associated A record. The second is saying that your mail server is not responding to a direct IP query. My guess is that the second one is happening because of the first issue. In other words if it can't associate an A record then it can't confirm the IP.
  4. JohnK

JohnK Member

The main server has one IP address, all domains on the server use that address and the address does have a lookup back to the server. For those that have had problems, I have set up a seperate IP address for those domains, yet there are still problems.

Obviously there is something wrong with the way I am setting up domains (and must have been setting them up wrong for the last 10 years! It's just recently, with all the anti-spam precautions mail servers are taking lately that I have started having problems.

I guess what I am asking is how do I FIX the problem?

JK
  5. ramiss

ramiss Senior Member

Post or PM me one of the domains so I can have a look.
  6. todd

todd New Member

Acceptance of mail to address literals
    Checks that the mailserver accepts mail to postmaster@ip-address.

Mailserver rejected mail to address literals. Mail servers should accept domain literals (i.e. IP addresses instead of domains). This ensures backwards compatibility and can help with delivery in certain non-optimal situations, like a DNS server being down/unresponsive.

I have the same message coming up on a DNS email check service. Is there a setting for SmarterMail to answer to the IP address? Obviously email may not be delivered properly if each domain does not have a unique IP but I would think the SMTP service should be following the standards.