1. This forum is read-only and considered to be an Archive. Please utilize the SmarterTools Community for future interaction and posts.

SMTP Error - Sending' reported error (0x80042109)

Discussion in 'SmarterMail' started by giovan13, Jun 16, 2007.

1. giovan13

giovan13 New Member

We just recently had to reboot the entire server running SmarterMail and many of our clients started reporting SMTP errors when trying to send out email from Outlook, Entourage etc....
    This is the following Outlook error message:

Task 'mail.xxxxxx.xxx - Sending' reported error (0x80042109) : 'Outlook is unable to connect to your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'
    We are quite puzzled becuase all was working very well until we had to restart the server. We checked out the SMTP settings in our SmartMail and all looks to be the same as always.
    We require SMTP Authentifcation and our port settings in Outlook are set to 110 for Incoming and 8025 for Outgoing.

Can anyone please help us figure out what the cause may be?
    Thanks!
  2. ozgurerdogan

ozgurerdogan Member

If enabled, make sure your Abuse Detection Setting are not preventing clients using SMTP. I hade a similar problem and increased the values and it is fixied. More domain you have, more carefully seting need.
  3. giovan13

giovan13 New Member

Hi,
    Well we do have the "Abuse Detection Item" enabled at the following settings:

Detection Type: Internal Spammer Notification
    Time Frame: 5 minutes
    Messages Before Notify: 5 minutes

Is there anything that you recommend? such as disabling the option and then re-enabling?

Thanks!
  4. ozgurerdogan

ozgurerdogan Member

Well this is only "notification" abuse detection setting. It seems like you did not enabled SMTP or POP abuse detection. if so, nothing to do with abouse detection. Other things I would check, first the antivirus softwares on clients comp. and on server or double checking firewall settings. As this is outlook error and client can use webmail something is preventing the packets which is mostly on client sides. And error code is not very specific so you may need to spend some time to focus the issue.
  5. giovan13

giovan13 New Member

Hi,
    We've made sure that the clients did not have an anti-virus working on their PCs. We were thinking that perhaps our local ISP had made some changes to their port settings etc... but the clients who have called us with this issue were using in all approx 4 different ISP's. We've also contacted out local ISP to make sure they didnt change anything on us. Clearly the problem appeared as soon as we rebooted the server.. so Im pretty much convinced that some setting mustve changed back to a default setting and is causing this. Perhaps you are correct and the problem is a firewall setting.

Thanks!
  6. ozgurerdogan

ozgurerdogan Member

Last think I would check is "block period". As that error is not very clear on google. Something maybe on your server side or on ISP side may be blocking for a period of time so resetting server may clear something in cache of soft maybe. Just for considering. If you are good at packet sniffering you may listen on packets going out on clients pc which may give you some trick.

Good luck.
  7. jmandala

jmandala New Member

I just saw this error with a client. It turned out that the solution was to use SSL and port 465 for outgoing mail. Apparently, port 25 was getting blocked by my clients ISP. Hopefully they won't start blocking port 465 any time soon.
  8. dpanchal32

dpanchal32 New Member

Thank you

thank you for posting this.. not even the Microsoft Site was useful, so am glad you posted the answer, i resolved it now problem. much appreciated...