SMTP Error Code

Discussion in 'SmarterMail' started by Michael, Aug 27, 2003.

1. Michael

Michael New Member

Delivery Failure eMails should mention the error Code

f.e. Diagnostic-Code: smtp;504 <BLUESKY>: Helo command rejected: need fully-qualified hostname
    or
    f.e. Diagnostic-Code: smtp;550 5.7.1 <eMail address>... Fix reverse DNS for 216.180.107.73 or use your ISPs mail server

All I get from SmarterMail is:

Subject: sjOnline Anmeldung
    Sent on: Wed 27 Aug 2003 11:15:27 +0000
    Failed Recipients: <eMail address>
    Reason: Recipient was rejected by the smtp server
    -------------------------------------------------------
  2. Steve

Steve New Member

I just noticed the same thing yesterday.

Something that we had before with Imail and is missing from Smarter Mail. Defintely neeed with the List Serv option!

Will it make it version 1.2?

Steve
  3. Bking

Bking New Member

The bounce messages will be expanded a great deal in the coming months. The will become much more descriptive and should contain the original message.

The ListServ was released in version 1.0. The server admins must make this available to the end users. Contact your host for availablility.
  4. Steve

Steve New Member

Well, isn't SmarterTools owned by CT?
    I send messages to CT support and get responses that they are passing them on to ST. Then we are encouraged to post questions here by CT.

So a problem is acknowledged and we are told to contact our hosting company.

How about just one place where a person can
    1. Verify if the problem is a known problem
    2. Determine if it is on the list of items to be patched/upgraded or whatever.
    3. Have a point of contact for getting the problem resolved.

For example, the List Administrator Help instructions aren't the same as what exists at CT and we are told to contact CT. Why is it the responsibility of the users to continue jumping through hoops to get a problem fixed and determine who we talk to about getting something fixed.

Your message the other day about 1.2 features was a good start. I can not imagine why you aren't using some software to keep track of all the bugs and the status of getting them fixed. Some type of a query/report and available to the customers should be considered.

Steve

[quote author=Bking link=board=MailFeatures;num=1061983957;start=0#2 date=08/27/03 at 10:04:21]The bounce messages will be expanded a great deal in the coming months. The will become much more descriptive and should contain the original message.

The ListServ was released in version 1.0. The server admins must make this available to the end users. Contact your host for availablility.
    [/QUOTE]
  5. Bking

Bking New Member

No.. Although the owner of CrystalTech does have a financial interest in SmarterTools Inc., he does not actively monitor / manage SmarterTools. We have a similar vendor / customer relationship with CrystalTech as we do with all the ISP and Hosting companies we work with. The owner of CrystalTech has made it very clear, his responsibility is CrystalTech, and allows our company to function as its own entity, as we started it.

CrystalTech is one of our larger hosting partners though, supporting over 500,000 mailboxes so a good deal of effort and work goes into support CrystalTech. We do the same with other companies, and put the same amount of effort into each partnership.

Hope this helps you understand our relationship. I understand CrystalTech noted in a press release that their owner purchased us. That is fine, and it is true, and I think it was done so their customers knew what steps the owner was going through to provide a higher level of service.