Question Smartermail change IP

Discussion in 'SmarterMail' started by Wonka, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Wonka

Wonka New Member

I have a problem in switching or re-routing my IP address to another IP address. My internet provider will have maintenance for approx 6 hours. What I need to do now is to switch the current IP from 201.x.x.x to 170.x.x.x

Are there any other way I could use the 170.x.x.x as a backup IP? For it when emails are being sent to the 201.x.x.x and realize it is down and it will be automatically trigger the 170.x.x.x to start?

Thanks.

Regards,
    Joe
  2. DXD

DXD Product Expert

Do you have 2 servers running SmarterMail?
  3. Wheemer

Wheemer Product Expert

You should have a backup MX of smartermail free installed to handle any downtime.
  4. Wonka

Wonka New Member

I don't have actually. Just the one locally.
  5. Wonka

Wonka New Member

I managed to find the place where I setup the Backup MX at Incoming Gateways. Not sure whether if I should Enable Smartermail gateway mode options. Should I enable it? Cause I tried with and without the option and it still won't be able to receive external emails. How long would it take to find out that the primary MX is down?
  6. DXD

DXD Product Expert

You would need 2 servers to do what your trying to do. What your asking doesn't make much sense unless you have two ISP's connected to your single server.