1. This forum is read-only and considered to be an Archive. Please utilize the SmarterTools Community for future interaction and posts.

SmarterMail and Active Directory

Discussion in 'SmarterMail' started by rebus, Apr 16, 2012.

1. rebus

rebus Member

Exchange Server is seamlessly integrated with Active Directory (AD). Create a new AD user and their mailbox in Exchange magically appears. Everything about the user account (name, description, password, etc) is handled entirely in AD.

Create "distribution groups" in AD, and those groups magically tie in with Exchange. Our client's admins tell me they almost never log into Exchange to do anything. Nearly every daily activity is done in AD.

In your real world experience, how well does SmarterMail work with Active Directory? Question applies to all aspects-- user accounts, distribution groups, etc.

Please, only answer if you have actual experience using SmarterMail with AD. I know what the marketing material says, but often the real world performance doesn't match the advertising.

Thanks in advance.

Disclaimer: I use and love SmarterMail, and have the opportunity to bid for outsourced email to a client currently using Exchange. But I'm concerned about how well SmarterMail will compare to Exchange in features, including tight AD integration. (again, real world experience, not just a re-hash of what the SM brochure says)
  2. rebus

rebus Member

Anyone? How integrated is the SM's LDAP connector with Active Directory? We have a potential opportunity to replace an Exchange 2003 installation for a client, but I won't even begin that discussion until I know (in real world terms) how integrated SmarterMail can be with Active Directory.
  3. Wheemer

Wheemer Senior Member

Call sales and ask them?