SmarterMail 5.5 Enterprise and Droid 2

Discussion in 'SmarterMail' started by RocketZero, Mar 17, 2011.

1. RocketZero

RocketZero New Member

I have searched the forums high and low for information on how to connect my Droid 2 to my SmarterMail server. I have tried everything Ive found with little success. The closest Ive had it was using IMAP, incoming port 143 and outgoing port set to 587. With these settings i was able to receive but not send. The composed email just sits in the outbox.

I made a few changes trying to get email sent but now I cant get anything to work, not even syncing. It just times out while trying to connect.

What do I do? Ive tried contacting my website host, but they are just as confused. So far Ive used the Droid 2's built in email software, do i need to try an email app?

If you have any ideas or suggestions please let me know!

Thanks
  2. zktech

zktech Member

We are now using SM 8 and things work good with the sync. A lot of little fixes were done in version 7 and 8 that helped with sync.

Are you trying to using the ActiveSync option or are you using POP3? Based on what we are seeing it is one or the other IMAP has not worked well. What version of the Android OS are you on?

We have many using Blackberry, Apple, Palm and Android with a mix of POP3 and ActiveSync. Version 8 has been the best with the ActiveSync. Version 7 had a few little bugs that caused users issues. My guess is that 5.5 may have a lot more issues with the ActiveSync.

Good luck.

Bryant
  3. RocketZero

RocketZero New Member

Thanks for the reply. I am trying to use IMAP. I am on Froyo 2.2 on the phone.

Right before you replied, I got it to receive AND send emails. [:D]

I hope my web host upgrades to Smarter Mail 8 soon...
  4. zktech

zktech Member

IMAP is only for inbound reading of e-mail you must still configure SMTP for outbound mail. If you are using your device for bussiness I would look into the ActiveSync option. Most providers charge more for it as we have to pay a license fee (ie Microsoft gets their share) but it works much better than IMAP and pop3 on the mobile devices.

Bryant
  5. zktech

zktech Member

If they are on 5.5 they are way behind on features and mobile device support.
  6. RocketZero

RocketZero New Member

The last time they "upgraded" they lost all my emails i had saved.
  7. chicagonettech

chicagonettech Product Expert

For any android device, 8 is the best version to be running. Additionally, android needs at least 2.3 to function properly. 2.3 was released to the wireless carriers in December, but Sprint is still dicking around with their testing and the interface and will probably wait for 2.4 in late spring or early summer.

Both 2.3 and 2.4 clean up a laundry list of know issues with the Android operating system and several e-mail synching issues.

See: http : // androidforums.com / evo-4g-support-troubleshooting / 103100-activesync-issues . htmlSee: http : // androidforums.com / evo-4g-support-troubleshooting / 103100-activesync-issues . html

While the above referenced link specifically deals with ActiveSync issues, there are lots of other issues with Android e-mail which will be resolved by the release of 2.3 or 2.4 - both providing your provider upgrades to SmarterMail 8.
  8. malik

malik New Member

Any ideas as to the best way for users to backup imap emails incase a host has a problem and loses them?