Reverse DNS and GoDaddy

Discussion in 'SmarterMail' started by ntbuddy, Mar 5, 2013.

1. ntbuddy

ntbuddy Member

I have started a new mail server for hopefully a super adventure for web design. On my new mail server I have I am getting the message "Reverse DNS FAILED! This is a problem.." I have GoDaddy for the domain registrar. I have a SPF record with the PTR variable set of "v=spf1 mx ptr ptr:198.38.93.199 ~all". What am I needing to add so that I can get passed the reverse DNS failed?

Thanks, John
  2. DXD

DXD Product Expert

The ISP that provides your dedicated IP are who you need to talk to about creating your reverse DNS entry.
  3. ntbuddy

ntbuddy Member

I was afraid that was the answer. Being we plan on hosting email that means each and every domain we will have to add to the DNS then. There needs to be a simpler way but will go this route. Thanks! :)
  4. DXD

DXD Product Expert

It's obvious you have never done this before and have not educated yourself on how to do this because you do not have to have a reverse dns for every domain. Only the main sending domain will need to have a reverse dns. We host hundreds of domains on 1 reverse dns. The only time you would need to have multiple reverse dns's setup is if you were using a IP address for every domain. You only really need to do this if your planning on using TLS/SSL for the domain.

I would suggest that you start reading up about DNS, SMTP, POP, IMAP, SSL, TLS, Security, Spam Prevention, etc. You say you are going in to an adventure of web design. I can tell you that email hosting is not for the faint of heart and you will be spending hours configuring and maintaining it.

This said you need to ask yourself. Are you going into the Web Design business or are you going into the Email Hosting Business? If your only interested in Web Design but need email hosting you might be better off outsourcing your email hosting needs to someone who already has the experience in doing so. There are several people here that would be more then happy to provide you with email hosting services.
    chicagonettech likes this.
  5. ntbuddy

ntbuddy Member

I was just hoping there was a way without having to constantly contacting my ISP each time I added/removed a domain. I know right now I have my own DNS where we always have added to the DNS when we add/remove a domain but was hoping since I am trying to avoid maintaining multiple DNS servers that I could avoid the contacting but have no qualms doing it.
  6. DXD

DXD Product Expert

You can run your own DNS servers and not use GoDaddy's. You will need to do this anyways if you want to use some of the spam blocking as they won't allow you to use public DNS servers. With any domain change you have to update DNS servers otherwise no one will be able to find the correct IP's for your domains.
    chicagonettech likes this.
  7. ntbuddy

ntbuddy Member

I just don't have the budget yet to add two plus separate DNS servers so trying to work the best solution for this right now.
  8. RichardF

RichardF Member

why would you like to run your own DNS?
    godaddy is good enough to manage dns for a bunch of domains.

the ptr or reverse dns is mostly something you do once.
  9. ntbuddy

ntbuddy Member

This is why I didn't want to do my own DNS servers but know for a PTR record I would have to. I was just hoping there was something I may not have known to achieve the same result without having to deal with it. It doesn't seem I have that option and I either bug my ISP (who I contacted to see if they will do for free) or if I have to pay. Being I am starting on my own I am trying to keep costs as low as I can.
  10. DXD

DXD Product Expert

URIBL's are now requiring you use your own private DNS servers for them to work and will not accept queries from public DNS servers. This has been discussed on the forums.
  11. RichardF

RichardF Member

as far as I know.. unless you manage your own IP block.. you will allways need your ISP to create the PTR record
  12. RichardF

RichardF Member

think I miss the point here. the query is coming from his own mailserver unless he's using a forwarder.
    he needs his isp to create the pointer
    he can create the a and mx record with godaddy where he hosts his domain

right?