Memory Usage Just Keeps Climbing....

Discussion in 'SmarterMail' started by montane, Mar 25, 2007.

1. montane

montane New Member

<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml"><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"> Why does the mail server just keep increasing it's memory usage. My server has not been rebooted in a while so the email server has not been started and stopped for a while either. The graphs for the memory usage show a steady increase starting on Mar. 12th at about 47mb to today at Nearly 75mb. The solution is not to reset the app, but it seems the app itself it hanging on to resources it does not need! The server is dealign with about 3-5 messages per 5 minutes with two spikes in the last month over that. So this server is dealing with almost nothing yet is eating my memory for now reason. It is running on an Windows Server 2003 server with 2gb of ram and a XEON processor. This appears to be a problem in the program! </v:shapetype>
  2. ST-TUzzanti

ST-TUzzanti SmarterTools Staff

I'm assuming you have greylisting enabled and that would be normal. Even for normal operations without greylisting you could see the same results due to the caching we do.

Also, be sure to be on 4.1 because it has memory optimizations for greylisting.
  3. ST-JLance

ST-JLance New Member

Like Tim said, we cache as much data as possible. Why not, memory is cheap. As SmarterMail runs for longer and longer, the fact is that it's going to cache more and more as time passes. This, coupled with .NETs memory management--which keeps everything in memory until it needs to free some up, and then it garbage collects--means that SmarterMail is going to use a lot of RAM. And with .NET's garbage collection, SmarterMail always appears to be using more memory than it really is; it could free quite a bit of that up if it needs to.

This is similar to how Windows Vista works. Basically it keeps your RAM completely full all the time, with data you may or may not need, because if you do need it, things are going to run a lot quicker. And if you don't need it, it can free it up very quickly, for some other data that you do need.
  4. p05esto

p05esto New Member

Memory may be cheap if you have your own server....but many of your users like me are on VPS servers with limited memory (512 to 1GB) to share between SmarterMail and all their web sites. As long as the memory gets freed when needed that's fine...but do keep in mind the growing popularity of VPS servers with limited resources. Code smart! I'd rather have speed than features....like rss, calendar, notes, tasks (all useless for email program???)