1. This forum is read-only and considered to be an Archive. Please utilize the SmarterTools Community for future interaction and posts.

Answered Linking tickets

Discussion in 'SmarterTrack' started by Jan-Dirk Schuitemaker, Apr 26, 2012.

1. We are evaluating SmarterTrack and would like to know if it possible to link tickets where 1 ticket is (or can be) the master ticket and other tickets are child tickets. This way it would be possible to answer (and close) all tickets at once.

I haven't found an answer to this in the KB.
  2. ST-AWhite

ST-AWhite New Member

Greetings,

Yes, you can link tickets together in SmarterTrack. Moreover, you can also link chats and call logs to a ticket as well. When viewing a ticket you can take the ticket number of another ticket and add it by going to the Add menu -> Existing Item. This will close the other ticket and provide a link to it in the Related Items tab.

Hope this helps!
  3. marcom_mab

marcom_mab Member

Closing a linked ticket a BIG problem. Way to override/disable?

Linking was a big selling point for us, but I just realized that it closes the original ticket. We can't let this happen. Is there a way to override/disable this? We can't have people closing tickets that need to remain open (tickets aren't necessarily assigned to the same person; different employees handling). I'm preparing training manuals currently, and this needs to be addressed ASAP. Thanks!
  4. ST-AWhite

ST-AWhite New Member

Unfortunately there isn't a way to disable this functionality. If the other issue needs to remain open we recommend you use the User Details popup to see tickets that may have been opened by the same user. This window can be opened from most email address labels throughout the management interface. Example: the email address shown in the header area of a ticket. Items with user details can be seen with an dotted line under it.

Our related item feature is designed for two tickets whose contents are similar and/or created by two similar parties. For this purpose it makes sense for the original to be closed.

Hope this reasoning helps with your training manuals.

Feel free to contact our sales department as well if you have any additional questions.

Thanks!
  5. marcom_mab

marcom_mab Member

Please note this as a change request for a future release. Thanks~

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, your workaround doesn't help. Our tickets come from various sources and are assigned to different individuals & departments. When tickets start getting closed, I'm going to end up with a lot of very angry people. I'm sure we're not the only company this is a problem for. Had you not noted it in your original comment, we wouldn't have known linking behaves that way.

Having the ability to turn off the automatic closing function of linking is needed. If you could note this as an enhancement/change request for a feature release. it would be appreciated.