1. This forum is read-only and considered to be an Archive. Please utilize the SmarterTools Community for future interaction and posts.

Question Importing the same IIS log more than once.

Discussion in 'SmarterStats' started by Yin, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Yin

Yin New Member

Hi,

I have been compressing IIS-logs since ever to save space but still be able to keep them. For example when i need to re import a sites log in SmarterStats. Late development with Smarter Stats has opened up the possibility to import logs directly from a zip-archives. This is all well and useful.

However, now I see that SmarterStats has imported the same log twice. Once when it was created and the second time when I moved the log to a zip-archive. Since this feature was not available until recently I have saved the zip-archives in the same directory as the log files. Thus when upgrading to v7 of Smarter Stats it started to import the log files in the zip-archives.

Does this mean that SmarterStats effectively has doubled the reported traffic since it reads the log file two times or is it smart enough to realize that this data has already been processed?!?

In "Log Import Status" I can see the log files listed both with the uncompressed file and as a file in a compressed archive.

How do you think is the best way to utilize the new feature of handling zip-archives

Best regards
    //Erik
  2. Krismartin51

Krismartin51 New Member

Hi,

I noticed the behavior some time ago. If you move your log files to a new location and edit the source to the log file paths to reflect the change, the system will reimport those logs effectively doubling up on all stats.

Kris
  3. Yin

Yin New Member

Thanks for the quick reply.

I guess i have double data then.

Ok, reimporting all sites. :-/
    And after that either disabling Zip-support or archive the zip files in a subfolder.

Best Regards
    //Erik