1. This forum is read-only and considered to be an Archive. Please utilize the SmarterTools Community for future interaction and posts.

Excessive Spam

Discussion in 'SmarterMail' started by uberSox, Aug 14, 2006.

1. uberSox

uberSox New Member

Has anyone ever dealt with an excessive spam issue? I have one user in particular who is getting spam by the truckload all of a sudden (just today.) Today she received 12,000+ spam emails. What is baffling is that her spam settings are the same as everyone elses and nothing is being blocked by Declude or Spamhaus, etc...

I have have tried to override her settings to be more aggressive on her spam filter, but in the time I spent fiddling with that she received 596 more spams.

Anyone, please help.

Thanks in advance.
  2. ST-BGrosz

ST-BGrosz SmarterTools Staff

Were those messages sent from an address using her domain name? If so, there is a setting in SmarterMail that skips spam checks. That option is on the "Security->Anti-Spam Administration" page under the "Options" tab. If that is checked and these messages are from her own domain then that is why they are getting through.
  3. deX

deX New Member

If the tab is selected, dose it check to see if the senders email is valid if they are on the same domain?

eg.

tim@abc.com emails john@abc.com, tim is a valid email address so its allowed

spam@abc.com emails john@abc.com, but spam is not a valid email address, will it be rejected?
  4. uberSox

uberSox New Member

I actually stumbled into that option after I posted and I unchecked the "Skip spam filtering on intra-domain email". I am happy to report that she only received 120 spam emails, which is still pretty high. of the 120, 88 were caught by a third party spam filter on her outlook.

Which takes me back to a conversation I had with the tech at Declude. He told me under smap checks (security -> spam admin) to just use declude and Bayesian Filtering as the other checks were resource intensive without any extra benefit. Can someone please confirm this? Could someone also suggest safe/common filter weights and SMTP spam block threshold?

Thanks for the response and the patience as I am new to Smartermail.
  5. uberSox

uberSox New Member

DeX,

I understand what you are saying however since I am new to Smartermail I am not familiar with how to set this up. Any advice you could provide would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
  6. ST-JLance

ST-JLance New Member

Declude is right to suggest only using SmarterMail's Bayesian with Declude. They do all the other checks we do, as well as more. And there is no point running the same checks twice.
  7. uberSox

uberSox New Member

James,

Thanks for clearing that up.

Could you please suggest what my spam weights should be and the subsequent actions? Or perhaps something else I could check that I might be missing here? Do you think that 120+ spam emails are something I am going to have to deal with?

Thanks in advance.
  8. ST-JLance

ST-JLance New Member

If you are running Declude, you should ask them for weight recommendations. I hear they are very helpful in assisting the configuring of Declude for maximum spam protection.

I'd love to give more helpful advice, but I'm not terribly familiar with Declude. The recommended advice is leaving the low/med/high spam levels at 10/20/30 in SmarterMail, then just configure the weight of each spam check in Declude. Thats where I'm not going to be helpful. I'm not sure of the weights you will want to assign to their checks.