Emailing multiple contacts in groups a.k.a. distribution lists

Discussion in 'SmarterMail' started by wgbeatty, Mar 10, 2010.

1. wgbeatty

wgbeatty New Member

Hello all,

Don't really use SmarterMail much unless I'm on the road, but have a question about settings up groups of people or what Outlook calls Distribution Lists. An associate wants to use SmarterMail on the road and wants to set up group names, then assign contacts to those groups to send out emails to the various groups. We're using SmarterMail Enterprise 6.7 currently and I don't see a way to set this up. Am I correct in my thinking? I see the Distribution functionality in SmarterMail, but this is for users in the same domain. We want to create a list using email addresses from our contacts.

Is there a way to accomplish this in SmarterMail? I thought maybe of creating a single contact, then pasting in multiple emails in the Email field, but what a pain with a large number of contacts.

Any suggestions helpful.

Warren
  2. ST-MKellogg

ST-MKellogg New Member

The best analog to distribution lists in SmarterMail would be aliases. A domain administrator can create an alias and put many e-mail addresses in it. Mailing lists could also work for this, however it requires a little more setup. Consult the online help for more details on that.
  3. wgbeatty

wgbeatty New Member

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure that does what I'm looking to do. I don't wish to email multiple users in my domain, but rather contacts in my contact list that have different emails that are not in my domain. Am I midunderstanding what you're telling me?

What I discovered today, is the use of Categories to accomplish what I wanted to. Created multiple categories, selected the contacts I wanted in the appropriate categories and it works. A little tedious as I had to do each contact - one at a time.
  4. Alyx

Alyx New Member

I need help with this also. . . . isnt this the online help? could someone please tell me how to make a group 'mailing list'?
  5. MrBoogedy

MrBoogedy New Member

I think what you might be looking for is "Categories" in SmarterMail. You can create categories, and assign contacts to those categories, it's essentially the same as creating distribution lists and assigning contacts to those lists. When you goto email, and you pop up the recipients list, you can select a specific category, and use the 'select all' checkbox to send an email to everyone in a particular category. It's not the same way that Exchange does it, but it is the same way other email clients handle it (like Hotmail for example), and offers a similar result.
  6. hapi

hapi New Member

I am trying to set up a similar group email distribution list using SmarterMail Enterprise 10.7. I have checked in the knowledge base somewhat, but can't find what i am looking for. Can anyone advise of how to set up a list of email addresses from the contacts I have listed in a Group Email and be able to send out an email to that group listing the addresses under the bcc field. Help??
  7. chicagonettech

chicagonettech Product Expert