Domain Name Bypass

Discussion in 'SmarterMail' started by Frank, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Frank

Frank Member

Hello All,

I have a client trying to email me but i'm getting a "550 Authentication is required for relay" I whitelisted his IP Address and also added it in SMTP Authentication Bypass but his IP Changes everytime he sends me email. Is there a way to do a domain name such as @something.com bypass? If could you please tell me how?

I'm using SmarterMail 8x

Thanks,

Frank G.
  2. DXD

DXD Product Expert

You should never let anyone send email to your server without authenticating. It would be helpful to know the from domain and to domain so we can look at your how they are configured to see if anything is not as it should be.

I suspect there is a DNS issue or SmarterMail and Microsoft SMTP running at the same time on the same port and IP address which is not possible.
  3. Frank

Frank Member

Hello Chris,

Not looking to open up as a relay or anything like that. I'm just trying to find out a way that I can whitelist a domain name such as "@something.com" because the IP Address the client is sending from changes every time so I can't whitelist the IP. But his email is being blocked by my mail server. Do you know of a way that I can approve any email coming from "@something.com"? Any help would be appropriated!

Thanks,

Frank G.
  4. DXD

DXD Product Expert

You should probably figure out why they are getting "550 Authentication is required for relay" instead of just whitelisting them.
  5. flowcontrol

flowcontrol Member

I think the point that Chris is making is that if the mailbox the sender is trying to communicate with is on your server, it wouldn't constitute relaying ("relaying" is accepting mail on this server for a mailbox located on another server).

"Local" deliveries (to mailboxes on your server) don't require authentication. The delivery "chain" should be: client's PC (requires authentication)-> client's outbound mail server (doesn't require authentication)-> your mail server -> your mailbox.

It seems like your client may trying to use your server to send mail to domains other than yours. It is *not* a good idea to whitelist your client's IP address under these circumstances.
    1 person likes this.