Question Delivery Failures from Various Destination Addresses

Discussion in 'SmarterMail' started by teamwrk, Jan 15, 2013.

1. teamwrk

teamwrk New Member

Good afternoon,

Some of my users are receiving delivery failure notifications.
    This issue has been intermittent, but present since I was brought on with this company a year ago.
    The bounce-backs have come from a variety of different companies, but all tend to carry the same Declude code-- 554.

The Delivery Failure Notifications tend to look like this (please note I have removed sensitive information):

I believe the issue lies in the destination mail servers (as we aren't running Declude), but wanted to be sure.
  2. ramiss

ramiss Senior Member

The Declude score is 0. So it is unlikely to be that. My guess is that you do not have a reverse dns record setup on your outgoing IP.
  3. csimo

csimo Product Expert

A SMTP 554 response is not a Declude code (they might use it, but it's a standard SMTP response code).

It sounds like your server is on some blacklists.
  4. DXD

DXD Product Expert

If you provide us with your domain name we can give you more information on what it might be.
  5. teamwrk

teamwrk New Member

I noticed the '0' score as well... as for the reverse DNS record, could this be the problem:
  6. teamwrk

teamwrk New Member

Good to know-- the Declude website said, "554 - The transaction failed. Blame it on the weather."

I've checked several blacklist checking sites, and we seem to be clear on all fronts.
  7. teamwrk

teamwrk New Member

Thank you for the offering of help-- Our domain name is 'hillaerosystems.com'.
  8. Wheemer

Wheemer Product Expert

Your rDNS is a different domain than your MX record... This will cause lots of undelivered mail.
  9. teamwrk

teamwrk New Member

Roger that. How do I go about resolving this issue?
  10. teamwrk

teamwrk New Member

I'm just trying to gain a better understanding here...
    So my MX record for 'hillaerosystems.com' shows a hostname of 'mail.hillaerosystems.com' and an IP address of 64.251.203.150.
    The rDNS for 64.251.203.150 resolves to 'mail.sconceptsemail.net'.

Is that conflict (between 64.251.203.150 resolving to two different domains) the cause of the issue?

If so, how do I resolve this?
    If not, please explain...

Thanks!
  11. DXD

DXD Product Expert

Yes 64.251.203.150 should resolve to your mx record mail.hillaerosystems.com May mail servers are set to reject when the rDNS does not match. You would need to change your PTR record which is something done by your IP/ISP provider or through a control panel they may offer.
  12. ramiss

ramiss Senior Member

Think of it this way. If normal DNS resolves mail.yourdomain.com to 1.2.3.4, Then an rDNS should resolve 1.2.3.4 to mail.yourdomain.com.

Now, this has no bearing on the domains that are hosted at the mail server on any particular IP. For example, you could have several thousand shared domains all using 1.2.3.4, and as long as 1 of them matches the DNS/rDNS rule above then they will all pass on a Reverse DNS test.

Confusing I know.
  13. teamwrk

teamwrk New Member

Word. I've just put in a request with my ISP to have this changed. I will update this thread as soon as I have a response from them.
  14. teamwrk

teamwrk New Member

Hahaha. Not as confusing as I had expected, actually... makes a fair amount of sense. Thank you!
  15. teamwrk

teamwrk New Member

I spoke with my ISP today-- SmarterMail is the party responsible for these DNS records and as such, there is nothing my ISP can do.

How do I contact SmarterMail to resolve this issue? The only contact info I can find are forms for sales and billing questions...
  16. DXD

DXD Product Expert

Unfortunately your ISP is lying to you. You need to contact the ISP that your server connects to. They give you your IP address and they are the ones that control the PTR record for that IP address.

SmarterMail has no control over your DNS settings.
  17. Wheemer

Wheemer Product Expert

Do not reffer to it as DNS... because of course you control your own DNS... it is Reverse DNS, rDNS or PTR record.
  18. teamwrk

teamwrk New Member

If SmarterMail hosts my mail on one of their servers, and they do, wouldn't I need to contact their ISP?
  19. teamwrk

teamwrk New Member

Sorry, I must have missed that keystroke. Busy day.
  20. DXD

DXD Product Expert

SmarterMail doesn't host mail on their servers so I'm not sure what your talking about.