1. This forum is read-only and considered to be an Archive. Please utilize the SmarterTools Community for future interaction and posts.

delivery failure

Discussion in 'SmarterMail' started by hareth, Dec 30, 2013.

1. hareth

hareth New Member

I am receiving notifications of emails being undelivered from the system administrator which contain the following information (I have added xxx and yyy to maintain privacy)

Could not deliver message to the following recipient(s): Failed Recipient: xxx@yahoo.co.uk Reason: Remote host said: 421 4.7.1 [TS03] All messages from 89.238.188.34 will be permanently deferred; Retrying will NOT succeed. See http://postmaster.yahoo.com/421-ts03.html --

The header and top 20 lines of the message follows -- Received: by mail.mail1.hosting.m247.com via HTTP; Sun, 29 Dec 2013 23:52:48 +0000 From: "hareth" <yyy@bulldoghome.com> To: xxx@yahoo.co.uk> Subject: Re: hi xxx Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2013 23:52:48 +0000 Reply-To: yyy@bulldoghome.com Message-ID: <41fc8e77$2bced56c$3cd833c$@bulldoghome.com> MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0001_31C0D8DC.18F6C721" X-Originating-IP: [84.9.159.120]

According to some web pages my public IP address is 84.9.158.200 but I know very little about the subject of emails and IP addresses. I've tried to search for the problem but not getting anywhere. The email above is one of several that I have tried to send to friends which has had a failed delivery and not just from postmaster. I send about two emails a day. I would appreciate any help.
    on what to do - please use non technical advice if possible, thank you
  2. Dicky

Dicky Member

http://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?action=blacklist:89.238.188.34&run=toolpage

This might be part of your problem. It seems like you've been blacklisted. Even a server that sends two emails a day is susceptible to getting hacked. I'd suggest checking out the comprehensive document put out by ChicagoNetTech. It will at least get you started with the process of securing your SM install.

This is of course assuming you're running the most recent version of SmarterMail (11.7)
    http://chicagonettech.com/docs/pdf/Antispam Settings - SmarterMail - REV 4 - March 2013.pdf
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  3. pjeski

pjeski Member

mx records show mx for bulldoghome.com is mail.bulldoghome.com, which is 89.237.188.7, which resolves in reverse to mail.mail1.hosting.m247.com. It is not blacklisted.

89.238.188.34 resolves to outbound.mail1.hosting.m247.com. It is blacklisted.

Is m247.com providing mail hosting for you? If so, these are issues they need
  4. hareth

hareth New Member

To Dicky. Thank you. My version is 11.3. I am an end user so I dont think that the link applies to my problem but I will read it soon.

To pjeski : Thank you. I don't know what m247.com is but I will look up info on them. I afraid I have very limited knowledge on these issues.

To Nt-admin: Thank you. Regarding the email you sent me, I tried to respond but got the delivery failure report as below:

Could not deliver message to the following recipient(s): Failed Recipient: (address removed) Reason: Remote host said: 554 Sending address not accepted due to spam filter -- The header and top 20 lines of the message follows --

Received: by mail.mail1.hosting.m247.com via HTTP; Mon, 30 Dec 2013 14:27:25 +0000
    To: (address removed)
    Subject: re: SmarterMail test email Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 14:27:25 +0000
    Reply-To: address removed Message-ID: <removed@bulldoghome.com>
    Text removed
    Received your email. thank you for looking into the problem I have hareth
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  5. pjeski

pjeski Member

No problem. If you don't mind editing out the email address in your reply (or better yet, delete the log transcripts in your post), I would appreciate it. I can see the same thing in my logs:
    09:27:38 [89.238.188.34][10807050] Mail rejected due to SMTP Spam Blocking: Barracuda - BRBL, HostKarma - Blacklist, UCEProtect Level 1

Basically, your email provider is the issue.

Good luck with it.
  6. hareth

hareth New Member

Thank you for your help. I've contacted my email provider who has said that someone will look into it. Hope they can help - half of my emails are being rejected