Delivery failure since upgrade to 9.3.4513

Discussion in 'SmarterMail' started by backstageent, Jun 6, 2012.

1. backstageent

backstageent New Member

Hello all.

Since I have upgraded to 9.3.4513 my users are receiving what appears to be random delivery failures to addresses that are in fact good working addresses.
    other email is delivered with out a problem.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Examples of failure returns are:

1. 451 timeout

2. Reason: Remote host said: 601 Attempted to send the message to the following
    ip's:
    98.136.217.192, 98.138.206.39

3. Reason: Remote host said: 451 4.4.2 Timeout - closing connection.
    q3si5589252igb.1

4. Reason: Remote host said: 601 Attempted to send the message to the following
    ip's:
    12.102.252.75, 204.127.217.21

5. Reason: Remote host said: 421 4.4.2 mtain-mk06.r1000.mx.aol.com Error:
    timeout exceeded
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

This server was not experiencing the delivery failures prior to the upgrade.

also, I read elsewhere that TLS could cause problems like these, but I have checked TLS setting and it is not enabled on this server, unless there is setting I haven't seen.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can provide the portions of the SMTP log files if needed.

Mike
  2. 2k-sk

2k-sk Member

I was having issues with 601 errors for an address and it was an issue with my server (SM 9) trying to connect to the other server via TLS and something going wrong and the connection would fail. I opened a ticket and support confirmed it to be a bug in the fact that if SM tries to connect to another server on TLS it should try without TLS if TLS connection fails. Search your delivery log and see if you find an error like this: "Exception: A call to SSPI failed, see inner exception." if so it may be your problem as well in that case you can disable TLS in the SMTP Out screen.
  3. chicagonettech

chicagonettech Product Expert

It appears this has been resolved in BETA 10. I checked the logs for Sunday, when one of our customers sent out a to a list with more than 8,500 names on it.

We run TLS and there is not one error: "Exception: A call to SSPI failed"
  4. 2k-sk

2k-sk Member

Great to know Bruce. I have asked them if it will be resolved in version 9 and will update when I hear back.
  5. backstageent

backstageent New Member

Hey guys..
    Thanks for the replies. Because I am not using TLS (I don't have a certificate), I just might HAVE to look into the beta 10. This problem is driving me crazy. Alternatively, I could retrograde back to a previous version.

Aside from the one check box on the SMTP out page, is there another configuration page for TLS? Is it possible the server is attempting to use TLS even though it is not configured?

Thanks again,
    Mike
  6. RichardF

RichardF Member

7. 2k-sk

2k-sk Member

Did you check to see if in smtp out the tls box is checked? If it is then try to disable and send again. From what I understand this setting if enabled checks the receiving server if they support tls and if so will connect with their certificate. So it should not matter if you have a cert setup or not as that would only affect smtp in. Once I unchecked the box my incoming tls still works, I have cert setup, but now my server doesn't try to connect via tls on outgoing mail and the 601 errors went away. The agent I have the ticket open with regarding the bug is still waiting on reply from developers as to when and if will be resolved on version 9.

8. Richard Frank

Richard Frank New Member

but that is not a solution
    if checked SM server should first try to setup a TLS connection. If the receiving server doesn't do TLS, then SM should set up a unsecure connection.
  9. 2k-sk

2k-sk Member

Right that is why I said it was a bug. If you want the mails to go out before the bug is resolved do as I mentioned.

10. backstageent

backstageent New Member

It is not checked.
    That's why I asked about any other configuration pages for TLS..

Strange how it's only some domains that experience the issue....

Does anyone know if Smartertools has posted anything more about when a fix will be available?

Thanks guys.
    Mike
  11. 2k-sk

2k-sk Member

I am out of ideas then, sorry.