1. This forum is read-only and considered to be an Archive. Please utilize the SmarterTools Community for future interaction and posts.

Question Backup

Discussion in 'SmarterMail' started by richos, Mar 28, 2012.

1. richos

richos New Member

Hi, I am using a commercial backup program to backup my SmarterMail Free 9.0 installation. I am following the guidance on the SmarterMail website: http://portal.smartertools.com/KB/a1402/backup-and-restore-smartermail.aspx

Even though the backup program supports backup of open files, I get intermittent failures on in the Z:\Servers\SmarterMail\Domains\my.domain.com\Users\my.user\Index folder. Every now and then a file called segments_xxx (e.g. segments_21b) fail to backup. These files seem to be tempory and are removed after a time and replaced by others of a similar pattern.

I assume this directory is used to index the data.

a) Are these files important and do I need to ensure they are properly backed-up
    b) or will I be able to recover without these files?

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

Rix
  2. Ellis

Ellis Member

I was about to ask the exact same question.

Can we exclude "Index" folders from the backups ?
  3. brianlewis

brianlewis Product Expert

We use R-Drive Image, its a $44.95 sector level backup software with excellent scheduling system. Very lightweight, fast and efficient, and utilizies both Windows Volume Snapshot and R-TT own Volume Snapshot to capture a snapshot of the drive in realtime. It also has the ability to exclude any and all files (like Logfile folders or Spool Folders) while its doing a sector level backup of the drive. Backups are compressed at whatever level you want. Full backups can be configured say for Sundays, while increment or differential occur M-SAT. Backup Set retentions can be configured so that it deletes say after 2 backup sets (two weeks of backups if configured as mentioned).
  4. Ellis

Ellis Member

Thanks for the tips Brian.

But I still would like to know if Index folders can be excluded or not from backups.
  5. DXD

DXD Product Expert

I use backup for workgroups and have never had a problem with open files.
  6. Wheemer

Wheemer Senior Member

I think they should be backed up as well.

If you need to restore from backup, your users mail will need to be re-indexed unless you restore that file also.