Question Backup

Discussion in 'SmarterMail' started by richos, Mar 28, 2012.

1. richos

richos New Member

Hi, I am using a commercial backup program to backup my SmarterMail Free 9.0 installation. I am following the guidance on the SmarterMail website: http://portal.smartertools.com/KB/a1402/backup-and-restore-smartermail.aspx

Even though the backup program supports backup of open files, I get intermittent failures on in the Z:\Servers\SmarterMail\Domains\my.domain.com\Users\my.user\Index folder. Every now and then a file called segments_xxx (e.g. segments_21b) fail to backup. These files seem to be tempory and are removed after a time and replaced by others of a similar pattern.

I assume this directory is used to index the data.

a) Are these files important and do I need to ensure they are properly backed-up
    b) or will I be able to recover without these files?

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

Rix
  2. Ellis

Ellis Member

I was about to ask the exact same question.

Can we exclude "Index" folders from the backups ?
  3. brianlewis

brianlewis Product Expert

We use R-Drive Image, its a $44.95 sector level backup software with excellent scheduling system. Very lightweight, fast and efficient, and utilizies both Windows Volume Snapshot and R-TT own Volume Snapshot to capture a snapshot of the drive in realtime. It also has the ability to exclude any and all files (like Logfile folders or Spool Folders) while its doing a sector level backup of the drive. Backups are compressed at whatever level you want. Full backups can be configured say for Sundays, while increment or differential occur M-SAT. Backup Set retentions can be configured so that it deletes say after 2 backup sets (two weeks of backups if configured as mentioned).
  4. Ellis

Ellis Member

Thanks for the tips Brian.

But I still would like to know if Index folders can be excluded or not from backups.
  5. DXD

DXD Product Expert

I use backup for workgroups and have never had a problem with open files.
  6. Wheemer

Wheemer Product Expert

I think they should be backed up as well.

If you need to restore from backup, your users mail will need to be re-indexed unless you restore that file also.