1. This forum is read-only and considered to be an Archive. Please utilize the SmarterTools Community for future interaction and posts.

8: Socket read timeout.

Discussion in 'SmarterMail' started by CSITech, Nov 1, 2006.

1. CSITech

CSITech New Member

Has anyone seen this error? I have the latest version of SmarterMail Pro. It does not happen to me, however one of the users is connecting via a slower connection, and also using Pegasus Mail Client.

I did try turning the timeouts on the server up. This error 8: Socket read timeout. happends VERY quickly for the user. He will hit send and within 2 seconds he will get the error. Even on very small test email messages.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  2. rebus

rebus Member

His ISP may have recently begun proxying port 25 traffic onto their own SMTP servers as a way of spam containment. Have him drop to a command prompt and key in:

telnet <EM>mail.domain.com</EM> 25

where <EM>mail.domain.com</EM> is replaced by the name of your mail server. See what the response is. If he does not get the banner from your mail server, there's your answer-- he isn't actually making a connection. It will also show whether or not he is connecting at all to the server. You should also check your SMTP log for his IP address, as soon as his connection gets bounced. There may be some clues generated in the logs. The lack of a log entry could also mean his IP address is being blocked.

Also, does he run some type of antivirus software that acts as a mail proxy? ("internet security" products from Norton, McAfee, et al) These things are notorious troublemakers.